WARNING!!! THIS RECIPE FOR ADULT MAC AND CHEESE IS NOT FOR CHILDREN.
Restaurant menus always seem to have macaroni and cheese listed under the Kid’s Menu, am I right? Kids love mac and cheese, well at least most of them, except for our grandson. He doesn’t like much of anything with noodles. Unfortunately, his distaste for noodles has stayed with him and it appears it will last into his adult life. I think it’s a textural thing from when he was a small child. I’m not sure we will ever convince him otherwise.
That’s ok, this adult mac and cheese is not for children anyway. It’s not that I have anything against children, but once you make this macaroni and cheese, you are not going to want to share because you are going to want to eat it all yourself. Yes, all of it by yourself!
If you were to give this adult mac and cheese to a child and you happened to see them dropping these cheese coated noodles on the floor. It would make you cry. Deliciously cheese coated noodles do not need this kind of abuse, not when they are coated with three types of cheese!
No, save the cheap macaroni and cheese for the kids and make yourself this delicious adult mac and cheese. Once you sink your teeth into the first bite, you will understand completely where I coming from.
This creamy adult mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food for adults, with Gruyère, extra-sharp white cheddar and blue cheese. With breadcrumbs and extra cheese on top, this recipe is a surefire crowd-pleaser! Top it with fresh basil for a flavor combination that is out of this world!
This is the best macaroni and cheese I have ever eaten. Try this recipe and I promise you will feel the same way!
Adult Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound Penne Rigate
- Kosher salt to salt pasta water
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces Gruyère cheese grated
- 8 ounces extra-sharp white cheddar cheese grated
- 6 ounces blue cheese crumbled
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water, as salty as the sea, to boil. Cook the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente.
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan; do not boil. Melt butter in a large pot, then whisk in the flour. Cook the flour and butter over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Whisk in the hot milk to form a thick and creamy white sauce and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes more.
- Off the heat, add the Gruyère, cheddar, blue cheese, pepper, nutmeg.
- Combine the sauce with the cooked pasta, and stir until thoroughly combined. Place the mixture into a 3-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the pasta and bake until the sauce is bubbly and the breadcrumbs are golden; about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Chop basil and sprinkle on top of the macaroni and cheese before serving.
Leave a Reply