I cannot believe I am sharing a recipe for homemade blue cheese dressing, but today I am.
I have had a very strange relationship with Blue Cheese over the years. It wasn’t exactly love at first bite. It’s hard to go middle of the road with blue cheese. You either love it or you hate it and for the longest time, I hated it. There were only two occasions in which I liked blue cheese. The first time, was in Charlottesville, Virginia when David and I ordered a classic wedge salad with blue cheese dressing (loved it!). The only other time I can tolerate blue cheese is in Adult Mac and Cheese, now that, I adore.
Not too long ago, we went to a special cellar wine tasting at one of our favorite wineries. There were different kinds of light fare to go along with the wines we tasted as well as different types of cheeses. One of the cheeses happened to be blue cheese. This was my golden opportunity to give blue cheese another try, especially since I didn’t have to pay for a whole chunk, just to try it. I sliced off a bit to taste it. It was like the stars had aligned with the planets or something. Not only was it delicious, but it paired beautifully with the red wine I was drinking. Heaven!
After that pleasant experience, I began searching recipes online and boom! Just like that, I was all about anything blue cheese. My evolving relationship with blue cheese led me to that really awesome winter salad recipe for Apple Pecan Blue Cheese Salad With Dried Cherries. That recipe was the recipe that pushed me over to the blue cheese lover of the spectrum.
And so here I am today sharing this amazingly delicious recipe for homemade blue cheese dressing. Not only is this blue cheese dressing 1000 times better than anything you buy on the store shelves, but it is so easy to make and tastes just as good as what you would get at a steakhouse.
In just 5 minutes, you can make this delicious dressing to top or dip just about anything. David and I like to use it on wedge salads (recipe coming soon). We also love it for dipping our applewood smoked chicken wings into.
If you don’t like blue cheese, I highly recommend you give it another try. I didn’t think I did either.
If you love blue cheese, this rich and creamy homemade blue cheese salad dressing will become your go-to recipe from now on!
Blue Cheese Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbled
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk together with the mayonnaise, sour cream. Whisk in the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and garlic powder until well blended. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Use a spoon to fold in blue cheese.
- Transfer to airtight container and refrigerate until needed. Stir well before serving.
Latest posts by The Mountain Kitchen (see all)
- September Field Trip Friday • Tin Cannon Brewing & Giuseppe’s Ristorante - September 13, 2019
- Easy Black Bean Burgers - September 9, 2019
- August Mountain Moments 2019 - September 7, 2019