As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
This kale potato mash very well might be my new favorite way to enjoy mashed potatoes.
A new twist on classic mashed potatoes, these fluffy Dijon mashed potatoes are embellished with tender kale leaves, sweet red onion, warm chickpeas,
However, this kale potato mash with chickpeas and feta left me asking one question…
How the heck have I never added Dijon mustard to mashed potatoes before now?
I mean really! The two practically go hand in hand. The potatoes are so creamy and tangy with that hint of warmth and spice that Dijon mustard can bring to your palette. The flavor is subtle and adds an extra dimension to ordinary mashed potatoes.
It always makes me happy when I can get David to eat healthy, especially when it comes to kale. Sometimes I wonder if he’s just really being hard to get along with because I have used kale in many dishes and he eats them and doesn’t complain until after he’s eaten at least two helpings.
What I like most about this recipe is that you can bring new life to leftover mashed potatoes! This quick and easy recipe gets is even easier if you use leftover mashed potatoes because the potatoes are already made. All you have to do is warm the leftover mashed potatoes up and stir in the Dijon mustard. If the leftover potatoes are a little stiff, add a little milk to help break them down a little bit, being careful not to overmix. Once the mashed potatoes are nice and soft again, embellish them with the delicious chickpeas, sweet red onion, and kale. Then top with crumbled feta cheese.
Voila! Just like that, you’ll have a quick and easy meal reinvented from simple leftover mashed potatoes.
Enjoy this kale potato mash as a delicious and savory side or as a vegetarian main meal for Meatless Monday.
Either way, I think you are going to love this recipe!
Kale Potato Mash With Chickpeas and Feta
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1 red onion
- ½ cup chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups kale chopped
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces. Add to a large saucepan of water. Boil over high heat, until tender; about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the onion. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Roughly chop the kale.
- Heat the oil to a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. When the onions are tender, add the chickpeas and warm through; about 2 minutes. Add in the kale and cook until wilted; about 5 more minutes.
- Drain potatoes well and return them to pot. Add in the milk and Dijon mustard. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a fork. Do not overwork the potatoes or the mashed potatoes will end up gluey. Season with salt, to taste
- Divide the potatoes among 4 plates and top with kale mixture, crumbled feta cheese. Serve immediately!
- May Mountain Moments 2020 - June 1, 2020
- Chocolate Cake With Chocolate Buttercream Frosting - May 28, 2020
- Pork Chop Stroganoff - May 26, 2020