I am proud to say that these mini cheesy broccoli casseroles are made without any condensed soup! That’s right, none of that weird globby-goop that comes out of a can. These mini casseroles are filled with fresh tender broccoli, drenched in a made from scratch cheese sauce, topped with a crunchy bread crumb topping.
I gave up condensed soup years ago when I learned that they were easy to make yourself. Have you ever read the ingredients on the back of a can of condensed soup. Perhaps you should…
The Cheese Sauce:
Instead of using condensed soup, the base of the cheese sauce is made of a roux of butter and flower. Milk is then added to the roux and the sauce forms. Extra-sharp cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, a hint of garlic powder and just a touch of cayenne pepper to give the cheese sauce a nice warm finish.
Don’t worry, if spice isn’t your thing, you could totally leave it out.
Serving Cheesy Broccoli Casseroles As A Side Dish
This was originally going to be a Meatless Monday post. I loved how these mini cheesy broccoli casseroles looked, but when I made them for David and me for supper, they just weren’t enough. We were still hungry and ended up eating both mini casseroles.
I do not recommend eating these mini casseroles as a meal unless you’re not all that hungry. One is just not enough! You’ll end up eating two of the casseroles, guaranteed because they are so good they’ll leave you wanting more!
Serving Cheesy Broccoli Casseroles As A Main Course
The mini cheesy broccoli casseroles are a perfect side dish. However, if you want to make these the main course, I would definitely add some protein in. Chicken, ham and/or bacon would be good additions to turn these casseroles into one dish meals. Of course, some rice would also be a good choice and make more filling.
Besides the fact that there are no cans of glob in this recipe and their versatility, I also loved that the mini casseroles are portioned just right for two people. Which means you don’t have leftovers for days.
It doesn’t matter how you serve these casseroles, just make sure you do! You’re gonna love them, I promise!
Mini Cheesy Broccoli Casseroles
- 1 ½ pounds broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups milk whole
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Grease (4) 6-ounce ramekins. Place the ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet; set aside.
- Cut the broccoli into 2-inch florets. Add the florets to a steamer basket and set over boiling water. Cover and steam broccoli, until tender; about 4 to 5 minutes. When the broccoli is tender; turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, make a roux. In a large nonstick skillet or sauce pot, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, until golden, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in the milk; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon; about 2 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook 1 min., until cheese melts. Turn off the heat and stir in steamed broccoli.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and toss the bread crumbs with the butter, to coat. Spoon broccoli mixture into prepared ramekins and top with bread crumbs.
- Place the sheet pan of ramekins into the oven and bake until bubbly and golden brown; about 10 minutes.