When it came to this strawberry rhubarb crisp, after I swallowed the first bite, I immediately wanted more!
I had never tried rhubarb before I made this strawberry rhubarb crisp. I mean really, it is kind of intimidating. Just look at the way it is shaped. It looks like a large reddish stalk of celery. As you know, I will always try new foods at least once. I’ll put it in my mouth and give it a taste, but it doesn’t mean I have to swallow it.
This recipe for strawberry rhubarb crisp uses the main ingredients from David’s apple crisp recipe, replacing the apples with bite-sized pieces of strawberries and rhubarb. The strawberries and rhubarb are coated in sugar and topped with a brown sugar oat topping with warm tones of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
Oh my goodness, you’ve got to try it!
Here’s how I made it:
Do you like Rhubarb? What is your favorite recipe?
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- 1 ½ cups fresh rhubarb chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups fresh strawberries cored and chopped in half
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cut the rhubarb and strawberries into like bite-size pieces, place into a bowl and stir in sugar and flour.
- In a medium bowl combine oats, brown sugar, flour, and spices. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, this will take a few minutes, just keep cutting. Then, stir in nuts and sprinkle topping over filling.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes, or until fruit is tender and the topping is golden.
Leave a Reply