As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Crunchy cabbage, crisp apples, and green onions tossed with a zesty mustard dressing; this colorful Apple-Cabbage Slaw makes a great side dish for any summer BBQ.
Our favorite Mexican restaurant is where I learned to love coleslaw. I know; it isn’t where I would expect to get coleslaw either. Our favorite Mexican restaurant serves salsa and coleslaw with their fresh tortilla chips. It may sound kind of strange, but it is so good.
If it hadn’t have been for their slaw, I may never have found out that I developed a taste for raw cabbage, nor would I have ever thought about making this Apple-Cabbage Slaw. Now I enjoy slaw with fried fish, BBQ sandwiches, and fish tacos just like anybody else. I’ve been trying new types of coleslaw ever since. I’ve really been missing out!
A detailed list of ingredients is provided in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Apples: Any variety of apples is fine. For this recipe, I used Gala apples that I cored and chopped into bite-size pieces.
- Angel hair coleslaw: you can find this in a package in your local grocery store’s produce section. It’s a great shortcut, but you could also shred cabbage using a mandoline yourself to save a few bucks.
- Chopped green onion
- The Dressing: Whole-grain mustard, vegetable oil (any neutral oil), apple cider vinegar, honey, and Kosher salt, and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
How To Make Apple Cabbage Slaw
In an extra-large bowl, combine the apple, coleslaw, and green onion.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together mustard, oil, vinegar, and honey. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the mustard mixture over the cabbage mixture; toss with tongs to combine.
Serve immediately, or cover, and refrigerate up to 2 hours.
Check out the Slow-Cooker French Dip Sandwiches that I served with this slaw!
p.s. Speaking of parties, I’m happy to share this recipe over at Fiesta Friday. Come on over and enjoy the fun!
- 2 Gala apples , cored and chopped into bite size pieces
- 10 ounce package angel hair coleslaw
- ¼ cup green onion chopped
- ¼ cup whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- In an extra-large bowl, combine the apple, coleslaw, and green onion.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together mustard, oil, vinegar, and honey. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the mustard mixture over the cabbage mixture; toss with tongs to combine.
- Serve immediately, or cover, and refrigerate up to 2 hours, tossing before serving.