As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Take grilled cheese sandwiches to the next level! Perfect for fall, the bacon, apple, and Gouda grilled cheese sandwiches with jalapeno jelly have the perfect balance of smoky, sweet, and heat all wrapped up together in a creamy blanket of melted Gouda cheese, in between two pieces of crisp golden buttery toasted bread.
I made these grilled cheese sandwiches this past Sunday for lunch while on bear watch. Our mountain neighborhood has a Facebook Group set up so that neighbors can keep each other informed about things up on the mountain. Sunday morning, there was a photo of the same mama bear and two cubs heading up our road towards our house.
Bears are kind of like snow in the winter. Therefore, if we had moved to the mountain and not seen either one, we’d probably be pretty upset. Black bears are pretty creatures in their own habitat. You mind them and respect them, and they’ll go on about their bear business (unless they are hunting goats).
Even though I didn’t expect to see the bears, I was hoping. I walked over to the window to see if I could catch a glimpse of bears in the yard while making the grilled cheese sandwiches. I even stepped out onto the deck a time or two to see if I could hear anything in the woods moving around.
Meanwhile, I finished making the grilled cheese sandwiches, and I set up to take pictures of the finished sandwiches outside on the deck. I was hoping that the smell of the bacon, apple, and Gouda cheese on these sandwiches would draw the bears out of the woods to take a peek at this delicious sandwich.
So, the bears might not have shown up for these sandwiches, but I promise you will love these bacon, apple, and Gouda grilled cheese sandwiches with jalapeno jelly.
Exact measurements are provided in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Thinly sliced apple
- Sliced Gouda cheese
- Jalapeno Jelly
How to Make Bacon, Apple and Gouda Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Jalapeno Jelly
- Cook the Bacon: Bake it or fry in a skillet.
- Build the Sandwiches: Divide the bacon, cheese, and apples, placing equal amounts between 2 slices of bread. Starting with cheese and ending with cheese.
- Cook the Sandwiches: Cook the sandwiches in a buttered skillet until the cheese mels and start to brown.
- Spread on the Jelly: Transfer the grilled cheese sandwiches to a cutting board. Open each sandwich up and smear about a tablespoon of the jelly onto each sandwich.
- Cut and EAT! Cut the sandwiches in half. Serve immediately with your favorite soup of chips.
(I put the jelly on at the end because as it gets, it tends to be a tad too runny)
David and I enjoyed the sandwiches, showered, and headed off to a local winery. After a few hours, we returned home to find the finch socks torn up and tossed aside and the shepherd’s hooks bent over again.
Perhaps the bears don’t like jalapeno jelly?
Bacon, Apple and Gouda Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Jalapeno Jelly
- 6 bacon slices
- 4 slices bread
- ½ apple thinly sliced
- 6 ounces Gouda cheese sliced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno jelly
- 1 tablespoon butter divided
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Arrange bacon slices in a single layer. Place the baking sheet of bacon into a cold oven; set the temperature to 375 degrees F. Bake the bacon for about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to cool and drain.
- Slice the Gouda cheese into ⅛ to ¼-inch slices; core and cut the apple into thin slices or use a mandolin to about the same thickness. Divide the bacon, cheese, and apples placing equal amounts between 2 slices bread. Starting with cheese and ending with cheese.
- In a large nonstick sauté pan add ½ tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Warm the butter until it begins to foam. Add the sandwiches on top of the butter. Add the remaining ½ tablespoon of butter to the pan; flip the sandwiches over onto the butter. Cook until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side. You may need to reduce the heat to low to keep the bread from browning too much. Adding a lid will help melt the cheese faster if the sandwiches start to get to brown.
- Carefully transfer the grilled cheese sandwiches to a cutting board. Carefully open them up and smear about a tablespoon of the jelly onto each sandwich. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve immediately with your favorite soup of chips.