As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Have you ever wondered how to bake chicken wings that are tender, juicy and flavorful? If you have, this simple and delicious recipe for baked chicken wings is for you.
Amazing baked chicken wings do exist and they are healthier than the traditional deep-fried ones drenched in sodium filled sauces.
Instead, these wings are coated in a mouthwatering homemade dry rub made of brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne, garlic, and dry mustard. The beauty of this homemade dry rub is that the dry rub can be made to taste. You can make it as spicy, salty or as aromatic as you want. You have total control of the outcome.
Smoked Chicken Wings are our preferred method for cooking chicken wings, but let’s face it, we don’t always have the luxury of time. Smoked chicken wings require planning because you have to brine them overnight. Then you have to be patient and wait for them to smoke until they are perfect.
Sometimes you just want a wing chicken right now! Am I right?
David and I bake chicken wings about once a week. It’s a quick and easy weeknight meal that we can throw together is just a few minutes. We usually throw a few french fries during the last twenty minutes and supper is complete in under an hour. There’s not a drop of oil on them, except for the oil used to grease the pan. We do not miss the deep-fryer or those salty sauces. These chicken wings are so dadgum good!
Baked chicken wings are a great option to serve at a party or gathering, They are naturally gluten-free and especially good for health-conscious eaters.
How to make flavorful juicy baked chicken wings:
First, make sure the chicken wings are completely coated with the rub mixture. The rub helps to lock in juiciness by forming a nice crust on the outside. At the base of the crust is the brown sugar caramelizes the outside, while the spices add tons of flavor to the meat.
In addition to a well-coated wing, it is very important to flip the wings over halfway through baking. This helps to ensure that the wings are evenly cooked and allows the juices to distribute throughout the meat, leaving you with the juiciest chicken wings this side of the mountain!
Baking The Wings
Many feel that cooking the wings longer make them crispier and that is true, but you are also drying out the meat. Be careful about overcooking the wings. And be cautious of overcooking the sugar in this rub.
I love using my Thermoworks Instant-Read Thermometer to ensure they are perfectly done!
Serving the Chicken Wings
This is the recipe made me fall in love with chicken wings and I am so happy to share it with you!
If you want really good healthy chicken wings in under an hour, you have to try these baked chicken wings. I promise you will not be disappointed and won’t even miss that deep-fried grease!
Baked Chicken Wings With Dry Rub
- 4 pounds chicken wings cut into drumettes and wingettes
- oil or cooking spray to grease baking sheet
Chicken Wing Dry Rub
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large sheet pan with aluminum foil and grease; set aside.
- Combine all dry rub ingredients in a small mixing bowl, set aside.
- Cut the wings into drumettes and wingettes, if needed. In a small bowl add about half of the dry rub mixture. Toss in 2 to 3 drumettes and wingettes at a time. Coat evenly with the rub. Remove the coated wings and place them to the prepared baking sheet in a single layer, not touching. Repeat until all of the chicken wings are coated with dry rub.
- Bake the wings in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, take the wings out and flip them over. Return the sheet of wings to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the wings are at 165 degrees F when checked by an instant-read thermometer and are crispy and golden brown.
The Mountain Kitchen is a participant in the ThermoWorks Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn commission by advertising and linking to ThermoWorks.com.
There is no extra cost to you for clicking! It just helps us afford to do what we do here at TheMountainKitchen.com. Thanks for your support!