Attention all crunch lovers!!! This Crunchy Asian Chopped Salad is a healthy, delicious, colorful salad with a rainbow of veggies and a honey sesame dressing.
This salad combines the crunch of red cabbage, sweet carrots, crisp romaine lettuce, onion, cashews, and fried rice noodles.
Crunchy Asian Chopped Salad is drizzled with a honey sesame dressing, an incredibly delicious dressing that could be used for all sorts of things, including meat, when it’s not Meatless Monday of course.
And oh my gosh, it is so easy to make!
Do you like onions?
Some people don’t care for them. I can understand why. Onions have a pungent, lingering aftertaste, but I have a tip I learned from Bobby Flay, that can change your whole attitude towards onions.
The secret to really good onions without all the stinky armpit smell is to soak the onions in cold ice water for about 10 minutes before serving! The acids that cause your eyes to burn and cause the odor is water-soluble. The cold ice water removes the stinging bite and mellows the taste.
If you love the crunch and flavor of onions on burgers or in leafy green salads, do this little trick next time you slice onions. It will change your whole outlook on the onion!
This onion tip is life changing! I used to take salads to work for lunch with sliced onions. When I sat down at my desk, popped the top off the salad, my whole office immediately smelled like stinking armpit!
After learning this tip, I’m sure my coworkers are just as thankful to Bobby Flay as I am! Does this sound like a weird SNL skit? Never mind… I’ll hush now.
Now that I’ve armed you (no pun intended) with a very powerful cooking tip.
How to Make Crunchy Asian Chopped Salad
Thinly slice the red onions and chop the scallions. Submerge them in a bowl of cold ice water. Let sit for at least ten minutes. Stir a couple of times, before draining. Drain well.
Add all ingredients for the honey sesame dressing into a small jar or plastic container with a lid; shake together until smooth OR add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine romaine, red cabbage, carrots, drained red onions and scallion, rice noodles and cashews.
Toss. Drizzle with honey sesame dressing and serve.
It is that easy!
I hope you will try this wonderfully crunchy salad and the tip for the onions. It’s amazing what 10 minutes of cold ice water can do!
I think I am addicted to crunchy foods and that is why I adore this Crunchy Asian Chopped Salad so much!
Are you a crunchy food lover? Comment below!
p.s. sorry about the armpit analogy, but ain’t it the truth!?!?
Crunchy Asian Chopped Salad With Honey Sesame Dressing
- 2 cups red cabbage shredded
- 2 cups carrots shredded
- 2 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup scallions green and whites chopped
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup La Choy rice noodles
- Honey Sesame Dressing recipe to follow
Honey Sesame Dressing:
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- Thinly slice the red onions and chop the scallions. Submerge them in a bowl of cold ice water. Let sit for at least ten minutes. Stir a couple of times, before draining. Drain well.
- Add all ingredients for the honey sesame dressing into a small jar or plastic container with a lid; shake together until smooth OR add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine romaine, red cabbage, carrots, drained red onions and scallion, rice noodles and cashews. Toss.
- Drizzle with honey sesame dressing and serve.