As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
David’s breakfast burritos are bursting with flavor!
The burritos are filled with fresh chorizo sausage, soft scrambled eggs, roasted poblano peppers, skillet potatoes, and gooey cheddar cheese all wrapped inside a fire toasted flour tortilla and served with spicy salsa. The burritos are a complete breakfast rolled up inside a tortilla Tex-Mex style!
When I told David that I wanted him to make some of his breakfast burritos to post on the blog, he didn’t even bat an eye. He immediately started planning a visit to our local butcher to get the fresh chorizo sausage.
David came up with this recipe after trying breakfast burritos from a well-known Tex-Mex restaurant near where he works. He fell in love with the burritos and decided he would recreate the burritos at home for us to enjoy on the weekend from time to time.
Now we are going to share this recipe with you!
How David Makes The Breakfast Burritos
First, David starts the burritos by parboiling the potatoes. Add the cubed potatoes to a small saucepan and fill with enough water to cover the potatoes by about an inch of water. Bring the potatoes to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the potatoes are tender; about 5 to 10 minutes.
Next, David roasts the poblano over a gas burner until it is charred all the way around. Then he places it inside a bowl and covers it with a plate to sweat.
Use extreme caution when charring the chili over a gas burner. If you don’t have a gas stove, don’t worry! You can learn more about charring poblanos HERE!
When the potatoes are tender, he drains them well, then puts them in a sauté pan with equal parts melted butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. He cooks them tossing occasionally until they are nice and golden brown, then turns off the heat and sets the pan aside.
Meanwhile, he removes the casing (if needed) from the chorizo sausage links. Then he breaks up the sausage into small pieces in a separate pan cooks the chorizo over medium-high heat until it crumbles and turns dark brown and slightly charred. Then he pours the sausage out onto a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
Next, he cleans off the poblano with a damp paper towel. Then slices the off the top, and removes the seeds and ribs. Then he slices the chili pepper into strips and sets it aside.
Lastly, he scrambles the eggs. He breaks the eggs into a pan with melted butter over medium heat and cooks the eggs, stirring gently with a spatula until the eggs a just begin to set. He seasons them with salt and pepper, folds it in and takes the scrambled eggs off the heat.
To assemble the breakfast burritos, David chars the tortillas over the flame of the gas stove burner until lightly toasted. Then he loads the tortilla with the eggs, cheddar cheese, chorizo sausage, potatoes, and poblano peppers and rolls all the ingredients up inside the tortilla to form the burrito.
He serves the breakfast burritos topped with our favorite salsa.
The burritos are sloppy and bursting from the seams with goodness. Serve with extra napkins or eat them in a more civilized fashion with a fork and knife.
David does an awesome job on these breakfast burritos! He is my breakfast food and grilling guru!!
I highly recommend this breakfast burrito for breakfast, lunch or supper. Just try them
David’s Breakfast Burritos
- 1 medium Russet potato peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small poblano chili pepper charred, skin removed, seeded/ribs removed and cut into strips
- ¼ chorizo sausage casing removed, crumbled
- 4 large eggs soft scrambled
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 flour tortillas 10-inch
- salsa for serving (optional)
- In a small sauce pot, cover the potatoes with water, parboil the cubed potatoes over medium-high heat until fork tender; about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Char the poblano chili pepper, then place inside a bowl covered in plastic wrap to sweat, so the charred skin is easier to remove. (see notes)
- When the potatoes are tender, drain them well. Then put them in a sauté pan with equal parts melted butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook them tossing occasionally until they are nice and golden brown. Turn off the heat and set the pan of potatoes aside.
- Meanwhile, remove the casing from the chorizo sausage links (if needed). Then break up the sausage into small pieces in a separate pan. Cook the chorizo over medium-high heat until it crumbles and turns dark brown and slightly charred. Pour the sausage out onto a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Remove the poblano from the bowl and clean off the skin with a damp paper towel. Slice off the top remove the seeds and ribs. Slice the chili pepper into strips. Set aside.
- Break the eggs into a pan with melted butter over medium heat. Cook the eggs, stirring gently with a spatula until the eggs a just begin to set. Season them with salt and pepper, to taste. Fold the seasoning in and take the scrambled eggs off the heat.
- Prepare the tortillas per package directions or char the tortillas over the flame of a gas stove burner until lightly toasted. Load the tortilla with the eggs, chorizo sausage, cheddar cheese, potatoes, and poblano peppers, then roll all the ingredients up inside the tortilla to form the burrito.
- Serve immediately, with your favorite salsa.
David’s breakfast burritos first appeared here on The Mountain Kitchen on January 22, 2014.
- May Mountain Moments 2020 - June 1, 2020
- Chocolate Cake With Chocolate Buttercream Frosting - May 28, 2020
- Pork Chop Stroganoff - May 26, 2020