As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Grandma’s gingersnap cookies would be the perfect snack to leave for Santa Claus on Christmas Eve!
But make sure you put Santa on a ration, because these gingersnaps are so good you’re not gonna want to share but just a few!
It’s been a while since I made Grandma’s Gingersnap Cookies. If I remember correctly, it was almost five years ago. We had just moved into our new home and I wanted to check out my new oven.
I’ve been waiting for the right time to share this cookie recipe and decided that today is the day!
I’m not sure who’s Grandma came up with this recipe, or if they were called “Grandma’s Gingersnap Cookies” because they were named after the brand of molasses used in the cookies, but these are awesome cookies!
A word of caution, these gingersnap cookies are highly addictive. The gingersnaps are rolled in sugar and/or candied ginger, with a soft, chewy texture and warm flavors of cinnamon, and cloves. This recipe may be prepared successfully with either 1 to 2 teaspoons of ground ginger, or up to 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger root instead for extra ginger flavor.
How To Make Grandma’s Gingersnap Cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and butter. Add egg, then molasses. Sieve together the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, salt. Stir the dry ingredients, into the butter mixture.
Shape the dough into 1 ½-inch balls. Roll in sugar and/or candied ginger.
Place on ungreased cookie sheet, and bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and cool completely before storing in a container.
Serve with a cold glass of milk and enjoy!
Note: *Turbinado Sugar would work best for rolling the balls of dough, I didn’t have any, so I used white cane sugar.
So, are you going to share any with Santa or save them all for yourself?
I won’t tell if you’re naughty!
Grandma's Gingersnap Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger or 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- extra sugar* or candied ginger for coating (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and butter. Add egg, then molasses. Sieve together the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, salt. Stir the dry ingredients, into the butter mixture.
- Shape into 1 ½-inch balls. Roll in sugar and/or candied ginger.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet, and bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with a cold glass of milk and enjoy!