The first time I tried asparagus, I just kind of liked them, but they were out of the can and really mushy. Once I got older, I decided to revisit them again, but make them fresh instead of the canned variety I had once tried. Needless to say, I now love asparagus, so why did it take me so long to try them grilled?!?! I sure wish I had tried grilled asparagus sooner because we have been missing out!
Who knew that those weird looking dark green floppy spears in a can could be so abused!?
The grilled asparagus are seasoned with salt and pepper, olive oil and lemon zest. Grilled until slightly charred and tender then topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
We grilled ours with some fresh rockfish that was basted with Al’s Stolen Fish Sauce. An excellent combination!
- 1 pound asparagus thick spears
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- lemon zest one lemon
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese for serving
- Preheat your grill for high, direct heat.
- Break off any tough bottom ends, and discard
- In a plate, coat the asparagus with olive oil and sprinkle salt, pepper and lemon zest over them. Roll them around on the plate to coat them well with oil and seasoning.
- Grill the asparagus spears for 5 to 10 minutes, until nicely charred and just fork tender, turning them every few minutes so that they brown relatively evenly.
- Remove from grill sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired and serve.
Leave a Reply