As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
This Hash Brown Potato Casserole is one of my all-time favorite potato recipes. The recipe is in a lot of southern church cookbooks from back home. I remember the first time my mama made this for our family, and how weird I thought it sounded that this casserole has corn flakes on top of it?!?!
I have never been a picky eater and even as a young girl I would be willing to try new things, although a lot of it depended on whether mama liked it or not. I’m so glad I tried this casserole!! If I were a picky eater, I would have never known that corn flakes would be so delicious on top of potatoes!
For my recipe, I cut way back on the amount of butter used in the original recipe. I find that too much butter makes it too greasy and really masks the flavors of the hash brown potatoes.
How To Make Hash Brown Potato Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heavily butter a 9 x 12 casserole dish, making sure that the sides and corners are coated too.
In a large bowl, combine hash browns, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, chopped onion, cheese, salt, and pepper. Pour the potato mixture in the prepared casserole dish.
Bake covered in preheated oven for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, in a medium bowl, melt butter and add the corn flakes to the melted butter. Stir to coat the flakes.
Uncover the casserole and sprinkle the mixture over the top of the casserole. Bake uncovered for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until the corn flakes are crispy and golden brown.
Caution! This stuff is piping hot when you take it out of the oven, so try to control your hunger pangs until it has cooled for about 10 to 15 minutes.
To go along with the potato casserole we had country-style ribs, baked in the oven, using David’s Rub and finishing off the sauce we had for the brisket sandwiches.
I always make this casserole for David’s sister when she visits. I thought of her when I made it last week and texted her a picture of it. Too bad I couldn’t share it with her.
Maybe next time…
Hash Brown Potato Casserole
- 2 pound package frozen hash brown potatoes thawed
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups Corn Flakes Cereal crushed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted + enough to grease the bottom of the baking dish
- 10.75 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Kosher Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, chopped onion, cheese; season salt and pepper to taste.
- Place mixture in a heavily buttered casserole dish, making sure that the sides/corners are coated too.
- Bake covered in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Melt butter; add to crushed corn flakes. Stir to coat the flakes.
- Uncover the casserole and sprinkle the corn flake mixture over the top of the casserole. Bake uncovered for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until the corn flakes are crispy and slightly browned.
- Caution! This stuff is piping hot when you take it out of the oven, so try to control your hunger pangs until it has cooled for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Some photos updated 7/11/2017.