We got approximately 15-inches of snow today. For a while, I was wondering if it was ever going to stop snowing. The winter storm finally pulled out around 3:00 o’clock this afternoon, while I was standing in the kitchen making homemade chicken noodle soup.
Fortunately, we only lost power for three hours this morning. It’s hard to panic about the power going out. We planned for mountain weather when we built our home. Our home has a wood-burning fireplace and a gas stove, so for the most part, were as snug as two bugs in a rug.
The snow looked like goose feathers falling from the sky. It sure was pretty to watch fall down.
All in all, today was a great snow day.
We made snow cream!!
Originally, I had planned on making a homemade chicken noodle soup in my new crock-pot. If we had gone to work, I thought it would be something good to come home to. Since there was we didn’t know whether the power would stay on or not, I decided to make it on the stove.
I have to admit I got a little lazy and did not start the soup until late. I pretty much just threw all the ingredients in a pot and boiled it without a recipe or a game plan.
This classic chicken noodle soup has a flavorful stock, fresh chicken, traditional vegetables, and egg noodles. No fancy ingredients…just great flavor!
Not bad for a last-minute thrown together soup! I’m so glad I wrote the recipe down. This soup will make repeat performances in our kitchen.
We have some more digging out to do tomorrow… but it will have to wait until tomorrow. It’s getting dark and the night will be even colder.
What a beautiful ending to a great snow day!
p.s. Try this recipe for saltine crackers. Click HERE!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- 3 pounds chicken breasts boneless-skinless, cut into chunks
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 14.5 ounces chicken broth
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- fresh parsley chopped, for serving, to taste
- Combine all ingredients except the egg noodles in a large pot. Bring the ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat.
- When the soup comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is stringy and everything has had a nice long mingle together; no less than one hour.
- Add egg noodles and cook until tender.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.