I can practically eat an entire sleeve of saltine crackers at one time. They are one of my favorite snacks and I LOVE THEM! I don’t like to keep them in the house because I don’t need all those carbs sticking to my hips.
David and I were having chicken noodle soup for supper one night and we realized we did not have any crackers from the store. We didn’t even want to go back down the mountain to the local store.
I hate it when we forget something from the store after we already get back home with groceries. If we truly need to go back and get the forgotten item, it takes us 15 minutes to get to the nearest grocery store (one way). Sometimes we get lucky and only have to drive about 8 minutes to the nearest local gas station. The store is good about stocking common goods and it hasn’t failed us yet…
David jokingly said I should make some. Usually, I tell him he is crazy and ignore him, but I really wanted crackers to go with my soup too. I Googled saltine crackers, and I discovered that fresh homemade saltine crackers are simple to make They only take 30 minutes, require 4 ingredients and are so much better than store-bought!
If you are ever in need of saltine crackers, take the time to make them yourself. Here’s how you can make them at home:
I hope this cracker recipe saves you a trip to the store!
Homemade Saltine Crackers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 7 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- extra salt and butter for the tops, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Add the melted butter and water to the flour mixture. You may have to use your hands. Mix well.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out the dough as thin as possible approximately ⅛-inch or thinner. Cut into cracker shapes and place the dough pieces onto a baking sheet.
- Bake at for 15 minutes or until crispy.
- Allow the crackers to cool. Serve at room temperature.