As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Nothing says Christmas like Mama Rosa’s Date Nut Balls. These crispy balls of juicy dates, tropical coconut, and chopped pecans, covered in powdered sugar.
I did not lie when I said you would not find holiday baking here. I said I wasn’t baking, but I didn’t say anything about David not getting into the Christmas spirit.
You see, David’s mama moved to Ohio last year. This will be the second Christmas that he hasn’t seen her at Christmas. He misses her a lot and it doesn’t feel like Christmas without her Date Nut Balls.
Last year, he called her up and got her recipe so he could make some. He has taken it upon himself to make them each Christmas so that he feels closer to his mama during the holiday season.
How To Make Date Nut Balls:
First, mix the dates, butter, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook on low heat until dates are tender and mashed.
Next, stir in the pecans and coconut. Mix well, then remove the mixture from heat. Stir in the Rice Krispies. Make sure the mixture is incorporated well. Allow the mixture to cool slightly, before rolling into balls.
Now, wet your hands (keeps the mixture from sticking) and make the mixture into balls quickly while the mixture is still warm. The balls should be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter; about 20 date nut balls.
Allow the date nut ball to cool completely. Finally, they are cool, roll in powdered sugar.
For best results, refrigerate overnight before serving.
This is what makes Christmas special; keeping memories alive and sharing them with others. This is what Christmas means to David. The family we got to see sure did enjoy them.
What treat makes Christmas, CHRISTMAS to you? Comment below!
Mama Rosa’s Date Nut Balls
- 8 ounce package whole dates pitted and chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup fine coconut sweetened
- 1 cup light brown sugar not packed
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- ¼ cup powdered sugar to coat
- Mix Dates, butter and brown sugar in a pot. Cook on low heat until dates are tender and mashed.
- Add pecans and coconut. Remove from heat.
- Add Rice Krispies. Stir well. Make balls quickly.
- Cool and roll in powdered sugar. Refrigerate overnight.
Latest posts by The Mountain Kitchen (see all)
- Delectable Pan-Seared Pork Chops with Dijon Bacon Vinaigrette - February 21, 2020
- Air-Fried Dill Pickles With Chipotle Dipping Sauce - February 19, 2020
- Valentine’s Day Recipes For Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner - February 12, 2020