Since I am on the subject of side dishes this week, I would like to reintroduce you to Mediterranean Couscous!
I first made this Mediterranean couscous several years ago and paired it with the Halibut with a caper butter sauce and Oven Roasted Asparagus. It can be served at room temperature and it is a great side dish for when the weather is warm and you want to eat lighter.
Of course, here in Front Royal, Virginia, we wouldn’t know anything about warm weather. Yesterday David and I had our first snow day home in over two years. We were long overdue for one, but I had gotten over the fact that we weren’t going to get a snow day again this year. After a relatively above average February, March has come in like a raging beast! We got about 6-inches of snow on the first full day of spring! Today is the second full day of spring and I am really trying to think spring. I want spring! I’m ready to sit out on our new porch and deck!
If it is cold where you are too, then imagine serving this Mediterranean couscous to accompany grilled fish or chicken a warm spring afternoon. This couscous gets wonderful flavor from chicken broth, garlic, sweet and tangy sun-dried tomatoes, salty crumbles of feta cheese, with a touch of heat from red pepper flakes. The perfect side dish to accompany any light meal or it can stand alone as a delicious vegetarian dish (see recipe notes).
Don’t worry, you don’t have to wait until the weather is warm outside to make this dish. Serve this Mediterranean Couscous with just about anything, at any time or all by itself! Also, feel free to add other ingredients and adjust this dish to your taste. Within 10-minutes you have a healthy, simple side dish to go with just about any meal. Keep this recipe in your arsenal for days when you don’t have much time to cook!
Wishing I had a plate of this Mediterranean Couscous right now while thinking spring thoughts! What’s the weather like where you are?
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes If you use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drain them.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbled
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add in garlic and red pepper flakes, sauté until fragrant (do not brown), about 1 minute.
- Add in sun-dried tomatoes; sauté an additional minute. Add the chicken stock to the pan with the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and chili flakes. Bring to a boil.
- When the broth mixture is boiling, add the uncooked couscous to the broth. Remove from heat and cover for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Add the feta cheese, season with salt and pepper, to taste; toss together.