As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
The holiday season is here and I have an appetizer to share with you! This recipe for Prosciutto Wrapped Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates will knock your socks off! Actually, the stuffed dates are the perfect appetizer for any occasion and best of all, they don’t require any cooking!
David and I have been spending more time at Fox Meadow Winery lately. We are wine club members there and we attend special tasting events or just going up to hang out. If we are lucky we listen to some of the great local musical talents that play on the weekends.
Recently, we attended a fudge and wine pairing and we invited our friends, Jim and Beth to go along with us. Like David and I, Beth and Jim are foodies. When we get together we seem to always be swapping snacks and treats with each other. The best part of all this good food sharing is trying to figure out the perfect wine to go with the goodies. So far, we haven’t found a pairing that wasn’t good, but we’ll keep trying until we do.
The day of the fudge pairings was a mild day for November and we were able to sit outside and enjoy the fresh mountain air and beautiful scenery of the vineyard and the beautiful mountains beyond. I decided to take something for lunch, before doing our wine and fudge pairings. With all that wine and sugar we were about to consume, we couldn’t rightly do that on an empty stomach.
The stuffed dates and the pasta salad were perfect for a picnic lunch because they don’t require much refrigeration. I was able to prepare them in advance of our afternoon plans and allow them to come to room temperature while getting ready to go.
Speaking of the holidays, as I mentioned the stuffed dates do not require any cooking and can be made in a matter of minutes for those unexpected guest that may drop by unexpected. The Medjool dates are stuffed with soft and creamy goat cheese, chopped pecans and fresh thyme, then wrapped in salty prosciutto.
How To Make Prosciutto Wrapped Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates
In a small bowl stir together all of the ingredients except the dates and prosciutto, with a fork.
Gently pull the dates apart and spoon about a teaspoon of the cheese mixture into the dates. Close the dates around the filling. Wrap a piece of the prosciutto around each cheese stuffed date; secure it with a toothpick.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until needed.
These dates are decadent little treats that will make those unexpected guests think you slaved in the kitchen making them. A perfect sweet and salty snack while catching up with friends.
Prosciutto Wrapped Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates
- 12 Medjool dates pitted
- 2 ounces goat cheese softened
- 2 ounces low-fat cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon thyme fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pecans chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 6 slices prosciutto cut in half lengthwise
- In a small bowl stir together all of the ingredients except the dates and prosciutto, with a fork.
- I found that it smearing the cheeses with a fork well to mix the ingredients together.
- Gently pull the dates apart and spoon about ½ teaspoon of the cheese mixture into the dates. Close the dates around the filling. Wrap a piece of the prosciutto around each cheese stuffed date; secure it with a toothpick.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until needed.