Y’all, I’ve got David hooked on this air fryer cod recipe; pun intended!
Air fryers are great for making us fried fish lovers eat healthier. I love making this air fryer cod recipe! The fish fillets have the same crispy golden fillet with warm, soft, flaky cod inside, just like they are when fried in a skillet.
The beauty of using an air fryer is that you don’t have the awful smell, all that hot spattering oil, and saturated fat. Instead, it’s a miracle-working appliance!
Cod is an easy fish to cook. It doesn’t have the strong fishy flavor that some fish can have. It works well with different meals as the main course or as an ingredient, like in fish tacos.
Ingredients Needed to Make This Air Fryer Cod Recipe
The Cod: Light and flaky cod has a very mild fish smell, but you can use any fish. Use what’s readily available. Wild-caught and as fresh as possible.
Frozen fillets will work and do not have to be thawed before cooking. However, the cooking time may need to be adjusted a bit.
For best results, use small to medium size fillets that are about ½-inch thick. Longer fillets are harder to coat with breading and may break when transferring from the air fryer.
Flour: all-purpose flour. The flour coats the fillet and gives the egg something to latch onto. You don’t need very much, so shake off any excess.
Egg: A lightly beaten egg makes the breading stick to the fish.
Breadcrumbs: I tested this recipe a few times with regular breadcrumbs and with panko. David and I actually argued about which was better. After testing, I will admit DAVID WAS RIGHT! The panko is crispier and makes a better coating. Regular breadcrumbs absorb too much moisture from the fish and the fillets are not as crispy.
Spices: Lemon pepper seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. It’s best to season the fillets directly with salt and pepper to ensure the fillets are coated evenly.
Lemon Zest: I use a Microplane to zest the lemon zest. I use fresh lemon zest in addition to the lemon-pepper seasoning to give the fish an even fresher pop of lemon zing.
How to Make Air Fryer Cod
- Rinse the fish with cold running water and dry with paper towels—season with salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste, and set aside.
- Make a breading station with three bowls:
Bowl #1: Add the flour.
Bowl #2: Add the egg and beat lightly.
Bowl #3: Whisk together the panko, lemon pepper, and garlic powder.
- Bread the Fish: Dip the fish fillet into the flour; coat well. Then dip the fish into the egg, making sure to coat all sides well. Finally, dip the fish into the panko, coating all sides of the fillet.
- Cook the Fish: Lay the fillet on the rack (or place it into the greased basket) inside the air fryer. Cook at 390 degrees for 5 minutes, then reduce temperature to 375 degrees and cook for ten more minutes, or until browned and fish is flaky at 145 degrees F.
- Cooking times will vary depending on the type of air fryer you have. Monitor the fish carefully and use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness.
- Flip the fish about halfway through the cook if you use an air fryer with a basket.
What to Serve with Cod:
My favorite sides to pair this cod with are asparagus and potatoes. I also serve the fish with fresh corn and slaw. The possibilities are endless. Here are a few more suggestions:
- EASY COLESLAW
- QUICK COLLARD GREENS
- PARMESAN SMASHED POTATOES
- RED BEANS AND RICE SALAD
- MEDITERRANEAN COUSCOUS
- CORN ZUCCHINI ORZO SALAD
- SOUTHERN-STYLE YELLOW SUMMER SQUASH
Wine Pairing Suggestions:
Dry wines such as Viognier, Pinot Gris, Sauvignon Blanc, and Riesling will pair beautifully. However, always pair it with the wine you like best!
When you are craving fried fish, I hope you will clean the dust off of that air fryer and try this recipe if you try it and let me know what you think!
Air Fryer Cod
- 2 cod fillets 6-8 ounces each
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- Cooking oil if needed to keep the fish from sticking.
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F for 5 minutes while preparing the fish.
Prepare the Fish:
- Rinse the fish with cold running water and dry with paper towels. Season with salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste, set aside.
- Use three medium bowls to make a breading station:Bowl #1: Add the flour.Bowl #2: Add the egg and beat lightly.Bowl #3 Whisk together the panko, lemon pepper, garlic powder.
- Dip the fish fillet into the flour; coat well. Then dip the fish into the egg, making sure to coat all sides well. Finally, dip the fish into the panko, coating all sides of the fillet.
Cook the Fish:
- Lay the fillet on the rack (or place it into the greased basket) inside the air fryer.
- Cook at 390 degrees for 5 minutes, then reduce temperature to 375 degrees and cook for 10 more minutes, or until browned and fish is flaky 145 degrees F when probed with an instant-read thermometer.
- Serve with lemon wedges and your favorite white wine!