Red Beans and Rice is a popular dish that comes from New Orleans. This is a dish traditionally prepared and served on Monday nights.
In New Orleans, Monday used to be the “wash day” of the week. So, women would put on a pot of red beans to cook all day while they tended to the laundry. The beans would pretty much cook themselves and did not require much attention. The beans were largely seasoned by the leftover ham from Sunday dinner.
Ironically, Monday is wash day at our house too. David and I started Monday
As you know, at our house we are meatless on Mondays and originally I was going to share this
This Red Beans and Rice Salad should be on everyone’s list to make and take to cookouts, potlucks
A fresh take on classic Louisiana Creole cuisine, this Red Beans and Rice Salad is a perfect side dish for your next cookout or potluck. The longer it sits, the better it gets!
Try this recipe for your next cookout or your next “wash day”,
Red Beans and Rice Salad
- 31 ounces red kidney beans (2) 15.5-ounce cans
- 17.6 ounces Long Grain White Rice (Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice) (2) 8.8-ounce packages
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (or more, to taste)
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced or grated with a Microplane
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 stalks celery finely chopped
- ¼ cup parsley finely chopped
- ½ red onion small, finely chopped
- 1 cup bell peppers diced
- 2 tablespoons pickled or fresh jalapeno slices optional for extra heat and garnish
- Rinse and drain the beans. Heat the rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, add the vinegar, olive oil, hot sauce, and garlic together inside a small jar with a lid. Shake up the vinaigrette ingredients inside the jar until well combined.
- Add the heated rice into a large bowl. Give the vinaigrette one last shake and pour into the rice. Stir well to combine. Add the celery, parsley red onion, beans and bell peppers. Toss until well combined.
- Serve right away or marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
The Mountain Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
There is no extra cost to you for clicking! It just helps us afford to do what we do here at TheMountainKitchen.com. Thanks for your support!