This classic coconut cream pie is a creamy decadent dessert, using a flaky pie crust with coconut cream dolloped with a lightly sweetened whipped cream. When it comes to pie recipes, this coconut cream pie recipe takes the blue ribbon.
You’ve probably noticed that I don’t post about desserts very often. I try to stay away from making sweets because David and I will gorge ourselves on whatever it is and we sure don’t need the extra calories. Every once in a while I have an urge to make dessert. A couple of years ago, I posted this recipe on the very young Mountain Kitchen. When reviewing older posts to put on the new site, I thought this would be a good one to share again.
I’m sure when David sees this post, he’s gonna be pissed off that I didn’t make it for the re-post as I have with others. If you like coconut you should definitely try this recipe. I have used this recipe many times, without fail.
Gosh, I may have to make a pie now… so good!
Classic Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 10-inch pie crust Blind Baked
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 7 ounces flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipped cream (recipe to follow)
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar or powdered sugar
- Prepare Baked Pie Crust.
- Beat egg yolks with a fork in small bowl. Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in 2-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Immediately stir at least half of the hot mixture gradually into egg yolks; stir back into hot mixture in saucepan. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, vanilla and 1 cup of coconut. Pour into pie shell.
- Press plastic wrap onto filling. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until set.
1 Cup Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Beat heavy whipping cream and sugar in a chilled small bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff.
- Remove plastic wrap onto filling. Top pie with Sweetened Whipped Cream and remaining coconut. Immediately refrigerate any remaining pie after serving.