As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Do you like feta cheese? If so, you will love this recipe for Feta Basil Lemon Chicken.
I’m confessing my love for feta cheese right now.
I DO and I cannot help it! I LOVE FETA CHEESE!
Feta cheese is a well-known Greek cheese that has a rich, tangy taste that adds loads of flavor to any dish. I was so pleased to find out that feta is one of the healthiest cheeses you can buy. It’s rare to find a cheese low in calories with so much flavor. Feta can satisfy your cheese craving without it going straight to your hips.
When purchasing feta cheese, I highly recommend that you by it in chunk form and preferably in a brine. Believe it or not, when you buy feta cheese in chunk form it is cheaper. Not to mention it is a lot more flavorful than crumbled feta cheese.
I am really into Président Feta lately. It’s really creamy and flavorful.
Do you recall the Corn Zucchini Orzo Salad I made a few weeks ago? Well, that salad inspired me to create this delicious Feta Basil Lemon Chicken. I love the way the flavors mesh together in the cheese filling.
The filling is made with a flavorful and tangy mixture of feta cheese, cream cheese, lemon, basil, and garlic. It’s creamy and zippy with every bite.
Besides the flavor, the feta cheese keeps the chicken moist during cooking, which is an added bonus for using it.
Note: If the cheese oozes out, make sure you don’t leave it on the pan… it’s way too good to leave behind!
This chicken was just as good as I imagined it would be. The flavors of the feta, basil, and lemon are so good together. I’m practically drooling to have this on my plate again. I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as we did.
What’s your favorite feta cheese recipe? I’d love to try it.
Feta Basil Lemon Chicken
- 1 whole boneless-skinless split chicken breast
- ¼ cup cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 5-10 fresh basil leaves julienned
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- extra basil and lemon wedges for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a small sheet pan with foil or parchment.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts, by cutting a pocket horizontally three-quarters of the way through the thickest side of each chicken breast; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, feta, lemon zest and juice, garlic and basil. Mix well.
- Fill each chicken breast with half of the cheese mixture. Close the breast around the cheese mixture and secure with toothpicks, if needed. Smear any extra filling over the outside of the chicken and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place the breasts on the prepared sheet pan. Bake in the oven about 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
- Let stand 5 minutes. Discard wooden picks and serve with lemon wedges and extra basil.