- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 10 medium garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 4 cups original chicken stock
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 15 ounce canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Kosher salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 ounces curly kale washed, stems removed, leaves torn
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy oven over medium. Add the onions, celery, carrots, thyme sprigs and a pinch of salt; cook, until onions are translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in the stock, and add the chicken, chickpeas, the bay leaves, and red pepper. Season with salt, to taste; cover and simmer, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the kale; cover and simmer until kale is just tender about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves, before serving.
Fend off cooties, staying healthy and on track with your new year’s diet!