As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
This mushroom spinach soup is all about flavor and rustic texture!
Garlic, onions, and herbs combined to compliment the tender bits of deep earthy flavor from the mushrooms. Soft wilted spinach is added to the delicious flavor combination for extra nutrition. The soup is finished with a few homemade croutons thrown on top to offset the creaminess with a nice satisfying and contrasting crunch.
The beauty of this mushroom spinach soup is that it is ready in just 30 minutes! This soup could be compared to t
Basically, you can walk into your kitchen, throw a few ingredients into a pot and come out with a creamy bowl of warm, comforting soup. You don’t have to stand at the stove or leave the pot simmering for hours. This soup is the perfect soup to make when you want comfort food and don’t have time to cook supper.
A Special Note:
Something very noteworthy I learned when making this soup is that you cannot use low-fat or skim milk. Well, you can, but I do not recommend it.
Using skim or low-fat milk makes the soup very thin. You really want this soup to be thick, silky and hearty, not thin or watery. A bowl of this soup using whole milk is still less than 300 calories a serving. So, use the good stuff and have no regrets!
If you’re looking for a way to brighten up a gray February day, here’s the perfect soup for the job! This delicious mushroom spinach soup is a great Meatless Monday dish or for when you need a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
I hope a bowl or two of this mushroom spinach soup makes it to your table this evening.
Mushroom Spinach Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (½ stick)
- ½ cup onion diced
- 16 ounces mushrooms sliced (baby bella)
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk or Half and Half
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups baby spinach
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- ½ cup croutons
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. When the butter begins to foam, add the onions, mushrooms, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Sprinkle in the flour, coating the mushroom mixture. Cook for 1 minute, while stirring constantly. The flour may start to stick to the bottom of the pot, so be careful not to scorch it.
- Gradually stir in the broth, scraping up the bits from the bottom of the pot. Pour in the milk and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the spinach until wilted.
- To serve, divide the soup among 4 bowls and top with croutons.
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Sandwiches - May 12, 2021
- Air Fryer Cod – A Healthier Option For Fried Fish Lovers - May 7, 2021
- Cinco De Mayo Recipes - May 2, 2021