This! This roasted beet salad is the bomb!
Roasted beet salad is made of roasted beets tossed with crisp fresh spinach, tangy feta cheese, thinly sliced red onion, and candied walnuts. The salad is drizzled with a balsamic maple cinnamon dressing.
A lot of people do not like beets. I have always liked beets, especially with vinegar, salt and fresh cracked black pepper on them.
I grew up eating them poured over cabbage boiled with a ham hock. My mama and daddy grew them in their garden and my mama would can them so we could enjoy them all year long. I never realized how much better fresh beets or home-canned beets were until I got out on my own.
The canned beets in the grocery stores have NOTHING on the taste of a fresh roasted beet. In fact, David did not eat them until he met me and learned to eat them like I grew up eating them with vinegar, salt, and pepper.
For Meatless Monday last week, I made a roasted beet salad. I kept coming across recipes for them, so I decided to make my own version.
Let’s make Roasted Beet Salad!
How To Make Roasted Beet Salad
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Wrap the beets in foil packets and roast in the oven until tender, about 1 hour.
While the beets roast in the oven, prepare the dressing. Put all the ingredients into a glass jar or bottle with a lid. Place the lid on and shake well to mix. Shake well before using. Alternatively, you could whisk together in a small bowl.
Check beets for doneness by poking a toothpick into them. It should pierce through without any resistance.
When the beets are done take them out of the oven. Open the foil packets and let cool.
Once the beets are cool enough to handle, peel the beets using a paper towel, then dice or slice them as desired.
Add the beets, red onion and spinach into serving bowls, top with the goat cheese and walnuts and drizzle with dressing.
If you do not think you like beets, then maybe you should revisit them and try some fresh roasted or maybe with apple cider vinegar. They are really yummy and they are really good for you!
I hope this recipe is a way to get you to try something good and healthy!
Roasted Beet Salad
- 4 medium beets washed and trimmed
- ½ red onion sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ½ cup candied walnuts chopped
- Balsamic Maple Cinnamon Dressing (recipe to follow)
Balsamic Maple Cinnamon Dressing
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Prepare The Beets
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wrap the beets in foil packets and roast in the oven until tender, about 1 hour. Check beets for doneness by poking a toothpick into them. It should pierce through without any resistance. When they are done, take them out of the oven and open the foil packets and let cool.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the beets using a paper towel, then dice or slice them as desired.
Balsamic Maple Cinnamon Dressing
- Add all the ingredients into a glass jar or bottle with a lid. Seal and shake well to mix. (You could also whisk together in a small bowl)
Prepare the Salad
- Add the beets, red onion and spinach into serving bowls, top with the goat cheese and walnuts. Shake the dressing well and drizzle over the salad.Serve immediately.