As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Honey mustard bbq sauce is the perfect homemade barbecue sauce to have on hand for all of your smoked meats. This barbecue sauce is a well-balanced sauce that gets its sweetness from honey, a nice spicy heat from an assortment of spices, a richness from soy sauce and a zesty tang from mustard and vinegar.
What is Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce?
You may have heard people refer to a mustard-based sauce as a “Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce”. Just to clarify, David is from North Carolina however this honey mustard bbq sauce recipe is not! Mustard-based sauces actually come from South Carolina. To us the name a little misleading because when somebody says “Carolina” David and I always assume someone is referring to North Carolina.
David and I were first introduced to mustard-based barbecue sauce from a restaurant chain called “Smokey Bones”. We used to frequent this restaurant many years ago when we lived in Virginia Beach. I always loved it on their brisket. It was delicious!
Uses For This Sauce
This summer we decided to test out barbecue sauce recipes that work well with our smoked chuck roast. This bbq sauce was among our favorites. What we like about it the most is its versatility. This sauce is amazing on beef, but the options don’t have to stop there.
This sauce is a condiment you can use for marinating, dipping and saucing pretty much anything. It’s especially good on beef, but it’s dynamite on chicken, pork, and even seafood. To take it even further, this bbq sauce can even be used as a sandwich spread, put on a salad or poured over fries. The possibilities are endless!
There are so many possibilities on how you could use this sauce that there may not even be any left over. However, if you do have leftover sauce it will keep for up to a week inside the refrigerator.
How To Make Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce
It’s really simple to make this barbecue sauce. All you have to do is whisk together all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Allow it to come to a rolling boil and to thicken, whisking constantly; about 10 minutes. Then remove from the heat.
Serve warm or cold on just about anything from french fries to brisket.
So, what will you slather this honey mustard bbq sauce on?
Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a rolling boil and allow it to thicken, whisking constantly; about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Serve warm or cold on just about anything from french fries to brisket.
Latest posts by The Mountain Kitchen (see all)
- Delectable Pan-Seared Pork Chops with Dijon Bacon Vinaigrette - February 21, 2020
- Air-Fried Dill Pickles With Chipotle Dipping Sauce - February 19, 2020
- Valentine’s Day Recipes For Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner - February 12, 2020