As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
This classic barbecue sauce is a well-balanced sauce rich and smooth, with a sweet heat and just a touch of smoky flavor. It will go well with anything you want to pour it on!
Raise your hand if you like classic barbecue sauce?
If you love barbecue sauce, then you will love this recipe for this classic barbecue sauce.
Probably most of you have your hands raised and you may have even drooled a little.
If you know me, you know I’m not a sauce kind of girl. However, for some reason, cooked on, the caramelized sauce is something that I have a phobia of. Therefore, if any recipe calls for barbecue sauce, the sauce better be served on the side as a dipping sauce, or a light coating poured over the meat and warmed through just before serving.
David, on the other hand, loves it, and on more than one occasion, I’ve seen his face covered in sauce all the way up to his eyebrows while eating his smoked ribs or pork shoulder from the grill. Our go-to sauce is a little bit of secret, but recently we’ve been exploring other sauces to change things up a bit.
We made brisket sandwiches with Gruyère cheese melted on top and then poured some of this sauce on the sandwiches. Oh my goodness, those sandwiches are to die for! So says the girl who doesn’t like sauce…
Let’s make some sauce!
A detailed list of ingredients is provided in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Ketchup: The tomato base of this sauce.
- Sweetness: Brown sugar contains molasses which makes the sauce richer. Use regular sugar or honey if you don’t have it.
- Tang: red wine vinegar, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce
- Spices: onion powder, Kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper, paprika
How To Make Classic Barbecue Sauce
Simply whisk all of the ingredients together and bring to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the sauce comes to a boil, reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let the sauce cool completely.
That’s it! In a little over 15 minutes, you have a delicious barbecue sauce to sauce just about anything!
I made some more this week for David and our grandson, Seth, to put on their barbecue bacon cheeseburgers with chili. (Yep, a grandson. He has been spending the week with us. He’s pretty awesome!)
Ya know, David used to be a store-bought barbecue sauce kind of guy, until he met me. Ha, not anymore…
Enjoy the sauce!
Classic Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Whisk all of the ingredients together and bring to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the sauce comes to a boil, reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the sauce cool completely.